Recently I have talked to a lot of people who have never cooked a thanksgiving meal/Christmas dinner and dont even know where to begin! This post goes out to all my beginner foodies out there. I do not think anyone should ever have to suffer of buying a frozen Holiday dinner at the store ever again. For all my seasoned/veteran cooks out there dont forget to add a twist to each dish and if you have any good tips for our beginners please leave a comment.
- Candied yams w/toasted marshmallows
- Easy turkey and stuffing w/gravy
- Green bean casserole
- Garlic Smashed potatoes
- Easy yeast rolls
- Cranberry jellee
To make easy candied yams:
- 2 cans of candied yams
- 1 bag of marshmallows
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1/2C. Dark brown sugar
- 1-2tsp of pumpkin spice or cinnamon
- 2tbsp bourbon (this is the twist for my seasoned cooks or add your own like some toasted nuts)
- Mix the yams, melted butter, brown sugar, and spices together till a smooth consistency (add the twist ingredient).
- Spray a pan and add the yam mixture
- Top with marshmallows
- Bake 350 for 30min
Easy turkey w/stuffing and gravy
- Now if you want the EASIEST way to make a turkey, stuffing, and gravy I will say it would be purchasing one at a store, restaurant, or your local meat market. You can actually get a turkey already cooked for around $30-$50.
- But if you want to make a easy turkey get some turkey breasts at the meat market.
- 1box stuffing
- 3-4TBSP flour
- Chicken broth
- salt and pepper
- poultry seasoning
- 1/2 onion
- 1-2 stalks of sliced celery.
- 1 package of sausage
- Take your turkey breasts let them sit at room temp for 1-2 hrs. Pat dry and rub plenty of softened butter (it is very important the butter is at room temp and VERY soft) rub on the turkey breasts, season with salt, pepper, and poultry seasoning.
- Put turkey in a oven proof skillet and bake at 350 for 20min per pound.
- 2 times while the turkey is cooking dont forget to baste it.
- Once the turkey is done take out of the oven and set breasts on a separate plate. Add 1-2 cups of chicken stock and flour to the skillet. Put skillet on the stove, turn on high, constantly whisk until thickened.
- Take your chopped onion, celery, cooked sausage crumbles, and mix with the stuffing package. Just follow the directions on the stuffing package SUPER EASY. Just add some chicken stock to moisten and bake.
- 2 cans of green beans
- 1 can of cream of mushroom
- 1 can of fried onions
- Mix green beans with the cream of mushroom, add the fried onions on top, bake at 350 for 30min.
Garlic Smashed potatoes
- 2lb potatoes
- 1C. cream
- 1-2tsp of salt
- 1/2tsp pepper
- 3TBSP butter
- 2-3 cloves of minced garlic or you can purchase a tube of already minced garlic.
- Peel and boil potatoes in a large pot until soft. (poke potato with a fork it should pierce through smoothly without force)
- With a mixer mix the potatoes, cream, salt, pepper, garlic, and butter until smooth and creamy.
Easy yeast rolls
- Making bread is something that takes a while to learn and does require some skill. For all my beginner cooks the easiest thing to do and is what I like to do on thanksgiving is buy a bag of frozen yeast rolls no one will ever know you didnt make them. Just make sure its a good brand. For all my seasoned cooks yes, you can cheat here if you want but if you want to make your own bread try making a rosemary herb loaf.
- 1 bag of yeast rolls
- Follow the directions on the package. Usually you have to spray pan, set frozen balls on sheet pan, cover with plastic wrap, and let sit at room temp for 3-4hrs and then bake.
- 1 can cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup of walnut pieces
- for my veteran cooks add 1tbsp orange juice and 1tsp of orange zest no piff remember
- Mix all the ingredients together
Now I am sure you will have plenty of leftovers but hey thats the best part. One of my favorite lunches is the day after thanksgiving! I love making a turkey sandwich with all the fixings! Now if you have had 1 too many turkey sandwhiches and want something different try making one of these with your left overs:
Sweet potato soup
turkey pot pie with green beans (use puff pastry)
I hope you all have a wonderful holiday dinner and hope you will NEVER buy a frozen turkey dinner again! Make this a turkey dinner to remember…Do you enjoy this blog? Do you find the information helpful? Then go ahead and treat me to a coffee or send me a tip! I love Starbucks Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte. Choose any amount you wish, whatever you feel this blog is worth to you.