Hey guys I got this theme and just fell in love with it, but there really were not any instructions on how to operate the layout. I mean laymen terms lol. So below are some revised instructions on how the theme works, how to add some really cool features, and how to fix problems you may be having with this theme. Hope this helps guys!
Make Sure have latest version of Wordpress (2.7 and above)
1. Upload the theme folder into wp-content/themes/ directory.
2. Go to Your WordPress Dashboard and select Theme.
3. Select The Falkner Press theme.
4. Upload the Twitter for Wordress and the flickrRSS plugin that are found in plugins folder into the wp-content/plugins directory.
5. Activate the plugins.
Options PAGE Configuration
1. Featured Category Name
Type the category name you desired to be appear in the featured post slideshow. Recent Post from this category will be appear in th slideshow. (Go to appearance-current theme options- where it says featured category name it “IE:xx” When you make a post you must select whatever the featured category name is in this case “IE:xx”.)
2.Asides Category Name
Type the category name you desired to be appear as asides category. Recent Post from this category will be appear in the sidebar updates. (Go to appearance-current theme options- where it says asides category name enter whatever you want to name it. This is going to show up on the lower right hand side of the layout. It will post your most recent articles from the category you select. Whatever you name it you must select it to be in your post if you want it to show up on the side.).
Type the heading name for the asides category here. (Go to appearance-current theme options- where it says asides category heading name it. I just left mine mini updates. Feel free to name it whatever you want.) The default is set as mini updates: mini updates is just the latest article from whatever category you selected it to pull
This is where you can configure the Feedburner “Email Subscription” Feature. (Go to appearance-current theme options- where it says feedburner ID enter in your id name IE: http://www.brioguy.com/feed/rss) This is my feedburner ID feel free to follow me. Feedburner allows your users to subscribe to your site. Whenever you post something they will get notified via email or whatever they chose.
5. Twitter ID
Same like the Feedburner ID, u can put ur twitter.com username here, and your recent twitter message will appear on the theme. (Go to appearance-current theme options- where it says twitter ID enter in your twitter name IE: mattjharrison) This is my twitter ID feel free to follow me.
6.Youtube Embed Code
Enter the code you get for embedding youtube video. In order to fit the video size to the theme. Change the width value to 250 and height to 190. (Go to appearance-current theme options-put in youtube embed code) (If you do not want a video you can replace it with google adsense if you choose, your own affiliate link, or have some advertise on your site. (read further down to learn more about google adsense and how to add)
7. Banner Management
This is where you can configure all of the advertising block in the theme. (Go to appearance-current theme options-add the link to your picture I suggest you host the picture and then add the affiliate link.) These are the four blocks on the right hand side of the layout.
ABOUT THE SLIDESHOW AND THUMBNAIL
In order to get thumbnail images to appear on the homepage, a custom field image needs to be added to each post. Towards the bottom of the post editor page in your WordPress dashboard is an Advanced Option called Custom Fields.
What you need to do is open that section up, and create a new key as well as include the image source for each image you want to show.
There are two custom fields used for all post’s thumbnail images
Custom Fields Keys (CASE SENSITIVE):
1. “featured” is use for all post in Featured category that will appear in slideshow.
2. “thumbnail” for all other post category thumbnails
Remember, The images MUST BE ON YOUR OWN DOMAIN to make the thumbnail works. (You can not use a photo url from someone elses site it will not work!)
Some important things to note regarding automatic image resizing:
The theme uses the TimThumb PHP script to automatically create and resize the thumbnail images, and in order for it to work properly you need to take note of the following things first:
- TimThumb requires the GD library, which is available on any host sever with PHP 4.3+ installed.
- The theme has a cache folder for the thumbnail images located at falkner/cache which requires proper write permissions. If your host server doesn’t allow this by default, be sure to manually change the /cache/ folder permissions to 777 or 755.
- Use absolute paths for your images in the custom fields. for example http://yourdomain.com/wp-content/uploads/images.jpg
- If your Hosted your site in Hostgator and your image didn’t appear after following all the instruction. Try to contact hostgator, tell them the problem and ask them to get ur site whitelisted on the mod_security stuff. There’s a security function in hostgator that prevents the timthumb from working. (I use host gator and I had to call them to whitelist my site. It is very easy and only takes about 5min.)
Common Mistakes/ How to’s
If your slideshow is not working check the following:
- The picture is hosted on your website
- You checked the “featured” category
- You titled the field “featured” and not “Featured”
Decide how many slides you want to be featured. The themes default is set to 5.
- Click on appearance- editor- gallery.php. (NOTE: My suggestion is to copy the whole .php file and save it in notepad just in case you mess up the .php file on your layout you can fix it!) If you go to the gallery website (slideshow) you can change how the transitions happen and etc. go here to read more http://smoothgallery.jondesign.net/ Where it says: #RETRIEVE THE SMOOTH GALLERY POSTS $smoothgallery_posts = new WP_Query(“category_name=$theme_featured&posts_per_page=3″) change the 3 into however many posts you want to show up on your slideshow. This is a copy of my setting that is why there is a 3 and not a 5. So yours will be a 5)
To change how many posts show up on your home page:
- Go to settings-reading, where it says blog pages show at most add however many you want to show up.
To change the header: The psd file is included in the falkner download folder. Just edit the photo to whatever you choose and upload it to your ftp files.
Flikr- go to settings- flikr rss and choose how man photos you want displayed and what you displayed. You can make it a keyword, your photos, a groups photos, etc.
Google analytics- My personal suggestion would be to add a google analytics plugin to your site, but if you want to add the code go to appearance-editor-header and add the code. Do not add the code to the footer as google analytics will not be able to read it. The code in the footer jams the java script.
Adding adsense: As most of you have noticed there really isn’t any place other than your posts to add google adsense. There are four different spots to where you can replace and add google adsense. 1)below the slideshow, the four advertising boxes, replace your youtube video, advertisement spot at the footer of the theme. Go to appearance- editor- go to main index page. (NOTE: My suggestion is to copy the whole .php file and save it in notepad just in case you mess up the .php file on your layout you can fix it!) Right under <?php include (TEMPLATEPATH . ‘/gallery.php’); ?> you are going to add the google adsense banner java script. You are also going to have to take this code out other wise if someone clicks on it its going to take them to wherever the orginal link goes.<div><a href=”<?php echo $theme_banner_468_url; ?>” title=”Advertisement”><img src=”<?php echo $theme_banner_468; ?>” alt=”top-ads” /></a>
If you want to take out the four blocks, and the advertisement at the footer of the layout its pretty much the same steps. You just need to be a little familiar with html coding to find it.
If you want to replace the youtube video with google adsense click on appearance- current theme options where it says youtube embed code add your java script.Do you enjoy this blog? Do you find the information helpful? Then go ahead and treat me to a coffee or send me a tip! I love Starbucks Skinny Cinnamon Dolce Latte. Choose any amount you wish, whatever you feel this blog is worth to you.