Most people dont like eggplant and really its because they have never tried it, or had it prepared right. I cant stress this enough if you are trying to lose weight you dont have to give up flavor or things that you like! When you are picking an eggplant there are actually a bunch of varities to choose from. The most common purple eggplant which almost anyone can find in their local grocery store. Now when choosing one I prefer to get a smaller one as it has less seeds and I find it is not always as bitter. My favorite eggplant to cook with is a japanese eggplant it is very long, slender, does not have many seeds, and is not bitter at all. When you are making a panini I found the easiest thing to use is a george foreman grill although you could use a panini maker just as well. But, lets face how many of us have a panini maker on hand. If you do not have either of these you can use a skillet and put a weight on top. (for the weight I usually get a pot and fill it with water)
If you find that your eggplant has a very bitter and unbearable taste I would recommend salting it.
- Slice the eggplant, lay on a cooling sheet, and then put over a cookie sheet.
- Sprinkle the eggplant with salt (I prefer kosher)
- Let the eggplant sit for about 10-15min to drain
- Rinse the eggplant and then cook.
- Sun dried tomatoes
- Feta cheese
- Your favorite bread
- Arugala (optional)
- Oilve oil
- Heat up the panini maker
- Slice your eggplant, lightly oil, salt and peper, and grill till slightly brown
- Take your sliced bread spray one side on both slices of bread with oil.
- When your eggplant is done cooking lay it on top of the bread, add the feta, sun dried tomatoes, and grill the sandwhich
- Take it out and add arugala (I love the peppery flavor the arugala gives, but you do not have to use if if you do not want to)